The patient experience is at the heart of the Centre.
The award-winning Centre’s design resolves the need for a highly collaborative integrated working environment in a large complex building, with the contrasting need for tranquil deinstitutionalised space for patients in times of stress, fostering optimism and wellbeing through sensitive and considered design.
Its healing character is established through intrinsically therapeutic gardens that benefit patients, loved ones, and the wider community; a source of wayfinding as well as a place of solace and relief from the arduous treatment journey. Throughout the centre, there is a focus on natural light and contact with the outdoors.
Radiation bunkers, traditionally located underground, are on the ground floor where patients enter via a light-filled atrium. Courtyards interact with public areas, where floor-to-ceiling windows illuminate spaces with natural light year-round. Innovative floorplans enable bedroom wings to reach out into the landscape; window bays with distant views provide patients and their families with places of respite and contemplation
The materials palette combines soft colours, textures and natural finishes, providing visual comfort, dissolving boundaries between the Centre and the outside, and encouraging a domestic atmosphere. Watercolour washes by Emery Studio feature throughout, enriching the patient experience and reflecting the healing nature of the space.
Location – Albury, NSW
Client – Department of Health/ Albury Wodonga Health
Size – 7,700sqm
Completed – 2016
- 03.07.17 AWRCC Winner 2017 AIA NSW Award for Public Architecture
- 25.05.17 2017 AIA NSW Shortlist: Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre
- 31.03.17 Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre shortlisted for Australian Interior Design Awards
- 02.12.16 ArchitectureAU interviews David Leece on Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre
- 26.11.16 Albury Wodonga Regional Cancer Centre officially opens
- 2017 Australian Institute of Architects (NSW Chapter) – Public Architecture
- 2017 Australian Interior Design Awards – Public Design (Shortlisted)
- 2017 Interior Design Excellence Awards, Institutional (Shortlisted)
- 2017 GOV Design Awards, Architecture – Mixed Use – Constructed