Providing the best possible clinical care for future generations
This world-class facility provides the best possible clinical care for future generations and the base for continuing outstanding paediatric research.
The paediatric hospital is part of the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre and incorporates a paediatric research and education facility housing the Telethon Institute for Child Health Research (TICHR), and research programs from The University of WA, Curtin University and Princess Margaret Hospital, and many facilities for staff to collaborate and learn.
Everything was designed for a child’s perspective, from lowered window seats to pops of colour and visual treats at their eye level and for them alone. Seating areas are not just for sitting, but for climbing, hiding and exploring.
Interior finishes and the building itself are inspired by the flora and fauna of Kings Park, incorporating panoramic 270 degree views to nature, an abundance of natural light, outdoor spaces, private courtyards for patients, and an insipring and light filled atrium.
The hospital utilises state of the art technology, including Automatic Guided Vehicles and WA’s first intraoperative MRI.
This project was completed by JCY Architects & Urban Designers, Cox Architecture, Billard Leece Partnership with HKS, Inc.
Location – Perth, Western Australia
Client – John Holland Pty Ltd
Size – 125,000sqm
Completed – 2017
- 2019 World Architecture Festival, Health (Shortlisted)
- 2019 Australian Institute of Architects National Architecture Award, Public and Sustainability, (Shortlisted)
- 2019 Australian Institute of Architects (WA Chapter) George Temple Poole Award
- 2019 Australian Institute of Architects (WA Chapter) The Julius Elischer Award for Interior Architecture
- 2019 Australian Institute of Architects (WA Chapter) The Jeffrey Howlett Award for Public Architecture
- 2019 Australian Institute of Architects (WA Chapter) The Wallace Greenham Award for Sustainable Architecture
- 2019 Australian Interior Design Awards, Best of State (WA) Commercial Design
- 2019 Australian Interior Design Awards, Public Design, Commendation
- 2019 INDE.Awards, The Wellness Space, Honourable Mention
- 2019 Dulux Colour Awards, Commercial Interior – Public and Hospitality (Finalist)
- 2018 Design Institute of Australia WA Awards, Lighting Solutions, Commendation